Skip to main content

Summary Draft #2: Ocean Clean-up Machine

This article by Schiller (2017), tells the story of Boyan Slat and the culmination of his efforts in making his vision of an Ocean Clean-up Machine a reality. Oceanographer Charles Moore first spotted the Great Pacific Garbage Patch in 1977. Since then, the Patch has proliferated to the point of having areas where one could traverse on. By virtue of his profession as an inventor, Slat's innovative design involves booms in a floating arrangement of up to 50 devices of 0.6 miles each. He anticipates his project to amass tens of thousand tons of waste a year to be disposed of monthly through these devices. Slat has since announced that his project will commence waste elimination from the Patch in 2018. In addition, he aims to recycle plastic waste into commodities such as chairs and eyewear and attract companies to sponsor each boom with striking logos to aid his company in lowering costs.

Litter in the ocean over the years has reached an unacceptable level. It is time we do something about it. The implementation if the Ocean Clean-up Machine is a great way to start.



Reference List

Schiller, B. (2017, June 30). Boy genius boyan slat's giant ocean cleanup machine is real. Fast Company. Retrieved January 31, 2022, from https://www.fastcompany.com/40419899/boy-genius-boyan-slats-giant-ocean-cleanup-machine-is-real

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment #1, Formal Letter

Subject: Self-introduction letter from Erwin  Dear Professor Blackstone,  I am writing to you to introduce myself so that you can get to know me better. My name is Erwin Leow, a civil engineering student at the Singapore Institute of Technology. I will be taking your effective communication class this trimester. I graduated with a diploma in aerospace electronics from Temasek Polytechnic but made the decision to pursue civil engineering instead as it will provide me with a wider variety of job opportunities in the future. I decided to still continue in the engineering sector due to my love for mathematics. A communication strength that I believe I possess is the ability to find common topics of discussion with people. I will still be able to still strike a conversation even when the other party has conflicting or different interests. On the other hand, a communication weakness I have is that I am shy. Although I can talk well with people, I tend to find it hard to approach them at firs

Paraphrase & Quotation

“Communication skills are an essential component in the education of engineering students to facilitate not just students’ education but also to prepare them for their future careers.” - Marc Riemer, Faculty of Engineering, Monash University (2007) According to Marc Reimer, faculty of engineering, Monash University (2007), Engineering students are required to have communication skills, not just to help with their studies but also to aid them in their future when they go out to work.

Critical Reflection

Module Learning At the beginning of this module, I strived to improve my presentation skills which included delivering a smooth presentation without awkward pauses and confident speaking skills. In the past, I would always present unprepared and always asked myself why I was always so nervous. My slides were always wordy and I would go in without a script. This caused me to stutter constantly with many awkward pauses. I forgot what to say and ended up reading from the slides instead. I realised that I was not a natural speaker unlike many others, and would need to practise to be able to speak well in front of others. The oral presentation conducted in this module gave me a fresh new opportunity to showcase my presentation skills. With the preparation of a rough script and multiple rehearsals, I was able to polish my content. Using the 7 Cs of communication helped me shape my script as well. The peer reviews from my teammate and classmates allowed me to think of ways to improve the pres